ONLINE DATER CHARGED WITH RAPING WOMAN
Portsmouth, N.H. - A Rhode Island man was charged yesterday with raping a woman in Portsmouth he met through an online dating
Prosecutor Susan Boone said authorities believe Joseph Silva, 31, of East Providence slipped a date-rape drug in the woman's
drink. Silva's bail was set at $25,000. Police say there may be more charges. "There were repeated assaults on that evening,
and he even continued to try to contact her after that night." Boone said.
DECEMBER 12, 2006 - CAPE COD TIMES
Ex-Weekly Reader editor sentenced in sex case
BOSTON - Noel Neff, 47, of Norwalk, Conn., a former editor for the company that publishes the venerable Weekly Reader, a
newspaper for elementary school children, was sentenced yesterday to six years in prison for soliciting sex from a minor
JANUARY 5, 2007 - BOSTON HERALD
N.H. man held in MySpace sex assault
MANCHESTER, N.H. - A Manchester man is charged with sexually assaulting a 12 year old girl he met on MySpace.com. Police
said Matthew Bergeron, 19, drove to Nashua to meet the girl early Saturday morning after meeting her on the social networking
Web site. He was arrested later that night and charged with three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, five counts
of felonious sexual assault, indecent exposure and illegal use of a computer.
JANUARY 13, 2007 - CAPE COD TIMES
Man pleads guilty in MySpace molest case
BRIDGEPORT, CONN. A Pennsylvania man pleaded guilty yesterday to traveling across state lines to have sex with a 14 year
old Connecticut girl he met through the social networking site MySpace.com. Stephen M. Letavec, 40, of Elrama, Pa., was charged
last year in one of the first federal sex cases involving the popular site. Letavec, a volunteer firefighter, was accused
of molesting an Oxford girl in his car. The girl signed onto MySpace as an 18 year old, but told Letavec she was 14 before
he visited, the FBI said.
JANUARY 19, 2007 - BOSTON HERALD
NEW YORK - Four families have sued News Corp, and its MySpace social-networking site after their underage daughers were
sexually abused by adults they met on on the site, lawyers for the families said yesterday.
The law firms, Barry & Loewy LLP of Austin, Texas, and Arnold & Itkin LLP of Houston, said families from New York, Texas,
Pennsylvania and South Carolina filed separate suits Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging negligence, recklessness,
fraud and negligent misrepresentation.
"In our view, MySpace waited entirely too long to attempt to institute meaningful security measures that effectively increase
the safety of their underage users," said lawyer Jason A. Itkin, adding the families are seeking damages "in the millions
Critics have been increasingly warning of online predators at sites such as MySpace, where youth-oriented visitors are encouraged
to expand their circles of friends using free messaging tools and personal profile pages.
...The lawyers who filed the latest lawsuits said the plaintiffs include a 15 year old girl from Texas who was lured to a
meeting, drugged and assaulted last year by an adult MySpace user, who is now serving a 10 year sentence in Texas for sexual
assault. The others are a 15 year old girl from Pennsylvania, a 14 year old from New York and two South Carolina sisters,
ages 14 and 15. --Associated Press